Tuesday, June 5, 2007

some God poems

these are basically all earlier poems, though they span several years. i wrote these as i was ending the first part of my "spiritual journey" (i hate phrases like that but i can't think of anything else) and had come to the conclusion that the God of the bible was in fact God and that Jesus of Nazareth is in fact the messiah. these represent my attempts at both praise and understanding. here we go:
saving grace
the lord is my shepherd, whom shall i fear?
he will always be with me, he will always be near
i have no need to be lonely
because i am never alone
we will work together
i am never on my own
my savior has promised:
on him i can call
as long as i do this
i will never fall
he will never forsake me, his love does not lack
and if i should stray, i can always come back
what greater love is there but to die that we might live?
what greater gift is there that someone can give?
always remember, he is eternal love
he is the greatest good that comes from above

believe
believe with all your mind
and believe with all your soul
force your way through the trouble
and strive for the goal
people are on the street
and people are at war
you thought you knew it all
but it was easier before
why does all this happen?
when will all this end?
i tell you there's a plan
that you can not comprehend
i have been to the mountain top
i have seen the promised land
we will live with his love
in his kingdom fine and grand
i have wept for love of him
and he for love of me
though his love is never far
sometimes it's hard to see
he will guide you with his immortal light
until you make it home
and you will have eternal life
no more on earth to roam
but until the king of all
calls out my name
i will do his good work
for that is my aim
the rock of ages will be there
to guide me all the way
and then he'll call me into his light
on that great and glorious day

blessings
god bless the children and the wild things
for the peace that their innocence brings
god bless the dads and all of the mothers
and show favor upon sisters and brothers
god bless the weak who in Christ are strong
and be with the sinner who tries not to do wrong
god bless my friends for whom i would die
and send them your spirit from morning till night
god bless all of the husbands and wives
send peace and contentment into their lives
and finally, i pray, god bless me
that i am all i can be

he is with me
i once hoped for death
for the pain to just end
my immoral actions
i could no longer defend
staring off in the distance
my eyes glazed with fear
i could feel the hand of evil
drawing ever near
when suddenly there came a light
my fear, i knew it could kill
in the light i saw the creator
saying, "i love you still"
and to my cowering tormentor
he commanded to be gone
then he looked at me and said,
"child, it's been so long"
he reached down into the depths
and he lifted me from the night
"you can not do it alone," he said
"so together we shall fight"
with tears in both our eyes
and his glory now made known
he takes my hand and says,
"child, i'll lead you home"


"The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, but wants everyone to repent and be changed" (2 peter 3:9).




No comments: