Monday, June 4, 2007

the fear must not show

this is another early one, from the ninth grade. i really like narrative poetry, and this is one of my first attempts. looking back i think it was rather metaphorical for the way high school life just kept coming at me, like an invading army. oh, and the "heaven above me, hell below" reference at the end, i would never do that now. here we go:
darkness envelopes the lonely night
all my soul is filled with fright
my fear must not show,
the enemy must not know
for now i must fight--
in the darkness of night
out of the night torches glow
an army marches like a river flow
the beating of drums echoes in my ears
it's time to suppress all my fears
they will not stop, forward they come
all the while beating the drum
now is the time to press back my fear
as their army draws ever near
i draw my sword and i'm ready to fight
i step out into the darkness of night...
i march forward, my fear is not showing
i leave my fate to the All Knowing
the swords will soon taste blood
the river of army will soon be a flood
now the two armies clash
the torches turn flesh into ash
a cry of battle, a cry of pain
blood falls everywhere as if it were rain
we fight for our lives, they fight for glory
for generations to come they will tell our story
the story shall be grand, though the battle was not
the story will be renewed, the bodies will rot
i feel a pain in my gut
my fear has returned
the torches ignite me
my body is burned
heaven is above me
hell is below
when i enter the other side
my fear will not show

No comments: