Tuesday, June 5, 2007

dreams

this is another poem from my junior (maybe senior) year in high school. i was still feeling rather hopeless, though i hung on to my idealistic dreams. i remember writing this one and i remember how crappy i felt after writing it, which is when i added the last two stanzas.

i dream of a life
of adventures bold
i dream of stories
yet untold
i dream of the lives
that i will save
i dream of the ways
that i'll be brave
i dream of traveling
this whole earth
sometimes i dream
of my child's birth
i dream of her mother
my beautiful wife
i dream of a content
and fulfilled life
i dream of spreading
the word of the lord
over great mountains
across great fiords
i dream of being able
to speak words that heal
to write my emotions
so that you will feel
these dreams are fine
until i realize
they aren't really dreams
they're all just lies
here is where i am
and here i shall stay
it really doesn't matter
what i do, what i say
whatever i dream
i will always find
it will only come true
inside my mind
so forget these dreams
because now i see
it's time to get back
to reality
no! i won't fall!
let me become a great man
let me achieve the things
that i know i can
i will grow stronger
with each passing day
let me reach for my dreams
let me start today

No comments: